Close this search box.

Roman-style Pizza

Italian pizza straight from a Napoli pizza oven. Its secret lies with its high-quality ingredients and carefully baked base.



500 g 00 flour

350 ml cold water

10 g salt

10 g olive oil

3 g dry yeast


Tomato sauce:

1 can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes

1 peeled clove of garlic

2–3 tbsp olive oil

Salt, black pepper and basil leaves


Pour a small amount (roughly 10%) of the water into a separate container and mix in some finely ground sea salt. Mix the dry yeast and flour together and add the rest of the water (90%). Knead the dough by hand or with a machine on a slow speed setting for about 10 minutes. Add the salty water and continue to knead until the flour has absorbed all the liquid. Add the olive oil and continue to knead until the flour has absorbed the oil too. Finally, knead the dough at maximum speed until it becomes springy and smooth and no longer sticks to your hands. If you are not using a machine, take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on a kitchen surface with a firm touch.

This process usually takes about 20 minutes. Once the dough is ready, put it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge for roughly 24 hours. When the time is up, take the dough out of the fridge and roll it into balls. Handle the dough gently to avoid breaking the air bubbles. Now, place the dough balls back in the fridge for another 24 hours (or up to 2–3 days if you prefer).

Take the risen dough out of the fridge and let it warm up in its container in room temperature for a few hours before baking. Remember that in cold temperatures the dough will rise more slowly and sometimes to a lesser extent.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently with a stick blender.

Begin by heating up your Mustang Napoli pizza oven. Birch wood will give you the best heat. The optimum oven temperature for baking pizzas is around 400 °C. You can use a pizza stone (to help with any cleaning required) or bake your pizzas directly on the oven’s bottom surface. Follow the video instructions to bake your dough balls into pizza bases with the help of some durum flour and then apply your preferred toppings. You should turn the pizzas a few times during baking – roughly every 30 seconds. Depending on the temperature, the baking time is approximately 2–4 minutes.


Get the grills and accessories

You might like these as well